Monday, June 25, 2018

The Hero's Journey

I mentioned in the previous post that I would talk about DAREBEE so...here we are. It's a free service that provides all kinds of fitness resources. It works great for my purposes since I have no equipment and the gym terrifies me. Also I'm cheap. Perfect!

The site is divided into a whole bunch of different sections but my personal favorite is the programs section. This is where I found my current workout program, The Hero's Journey. It falls under a category of "RPG fitness" that I am not ashamed to say speaks directly to my nerdy little heart. The difficulty scales for most workouts and it's tailored to train different muscle groups with strategic rest times built in to prevent overworking yourself. And if you have any questions as to how to do a workout (the little man pictures aren't super informative sometimes), they have a video catalogue of all the different exercises. And so you know, I'm not a sponsor for the site, I just really like it and think more people should know about it - especially if they're some combination of shy, cheap and/or slow to motivate. Like me!

An added bonus: I've been making a Homer's Odyssey type story based off the prompts at the beginning of each workout. It's about an orphan named S'ayik, surviving the desert after escaping slavers. I plan out what to write during the workouts and though I only write a few sentences each time, it makes the whole experience far more compelling. And if I want good things to happen in S'ayik's world, I have to do well at the workout!


Today's Haiku
Bloodthirsty black crows
grapple fiercely mid-flight
a skirmish for scraps

Today's Workout
Running: 3.1 miles (5K)
DAREBEE: Day 34 of The Hero's Journey

Today's Drawing
(Based on the word Amortize from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment