Monday, September 17, 2018

Malaria Trial Day 1

Fun News: I'm participating in a medical trial to test the efficacy of a type of treatment for malaria. I will be subjected to a series of blood draws and given periodic suppliments of chloroquine and Azithromycin. After a few weeks, I will be "challenged" which in this case means a cup of five malaria infested mosquitoes will be placed over my arm until they all bite me. Then I will continue the drugs if and when I present the symptoms of malaria AND they find it in my blood. During that time, (approx. two weeks) I will have to spend my nights in a hotel in case my symptoms crop up. The hope is that I won't contract malaria at all under these treatments.

I'm very excited.

Here is the log of how the first day went.

Day 1 of Malaria Trial

First they took basic vitals, blood pressure and temperature, and then did a brief series of medical questions to make sure nothing changed since the last time I was in. After, I saw the phlebotomist (experts in blood draws) and they draw a few vials of blood for basic testing. Then the exciting part: taking the chloroquine and the azithromycin. The chloroquine was a pill and the azithromycin was a powder mixed into some water. The powder drink tasted like bananas. It's a whopping 2 grams of antibiotic and I was told that 5 people had reportedly vomited from it that day. Thankfully I had breakfast before to stave it off, but I suffered from some solid nausea for a good part of the rest of the day. This will happen for the next five Mondays. Not really looking forward to that, but it's a small price to pay to help the fight against malaria!

And for those worrying about my health: they've had hundreds of people go through this trial with no one even being hospitalized. Very very safe.

Today's Haiku
Nausea preamble
just air or will lunch follow?
whew, only a burp

Today's Workout
(Out of commission due to medication symptoms)

Today's Drawing
(Based on the word Chiliad from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day)
***Check out the full catalog of pictures HERE***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive