Thursday, October 4, 2018

Malaria Day Four - Challenge Day

I was challenged today! I got up at 5:30 in the morning, went to the insect lab at the WRAIR and had a clutch of 5 malaria infested mosquitos bite my forearm.


The mosquitos had five minutes to "bloodfeed". After, the lab techs dissected them to double check for the malaria parasite. If malaria wasn't present in any of the five mosquitos, the scientists put the remaining number back in the cup and challenge again for another five minutes. During my trial, I had four successful bites on the first go! The final girl took a couple more tries but she eventually bit and then I was free to leave. Pretty easy. There was a poor woman in there that waiting for nearly an hour and a half! When they have that much trouble, the technicians dampen the towel draped over the arm and if that doesn't work they drape a dirty sock over it too. Glad it didn't come to that!

Anyway, here's the aftermath! The bites weren't too bad. The types of mosquitoes used in the challenge aren't the same as the local suckers here in Maryland.


Also they gave me this cool little emergency card. It's my official malaria badge!



Today's Haiku
Lady bloodsuckers
feasting on my forearm flesh
Don't think about it

Today's Workout
Running: 2.7 miles
DAREBEEDay 53 from 90 Days of Action

Today's Drawing
(Based on the word Intestine from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day)
***Check out the full catalog of pictures HERE***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive