Friday, September 14, 2018

Receipt Rambles: First Entry

I've been reading David Sedaris' Theft by Finding, a collection of his diary entries tracing all the way back to the late 1970s. The work compelled me to look back through some of my own writings...and my goodness, there is a LOT. It's amazing what accumulates over the years.

I'm intrigued by a series of pieces I scrawled on scraps of receipt paper while working as a busser/barback in the heart of Baltimore. I was outside of therapy then and the late hours and intensity of the work stoked my mania. These scribbles are mostly gibberish, words and broken thoughts that, at the time, I found beautiful when stitched together. I hope they can cast a little insight into the madness. The writings feel both familiar and distant to me now.

I'll share the pieces in sections, as transposing them is overwhelming and a bit tedious. The line breaks follow the boundaries of the paper. I wish I had the foresight to date them.

"Long half-full receipt in smudgy black pen"

The misgivings of the fall have returned.
Stagnancy abounds and the stale
gelatinous folds that cup my neck and
ears grow tangled and coarse. It is
the senseless white noise of the absent.
A trickle of semblance
---------
We follow dark and twisted feral
streets, aglow as there is nothing but
stomach pains and the smell of egg
and avocado this is a resignation, a
giving in to something tired and
bloated and starving. I am alive
again and unbidden. Nought but
Nonsense
----------
Wickedness on high you clammer
out from stumps and fallen
brethren in the dawn and so
we fester.

Today's Haiku
Sifting through the scrawl
I cast aside my judgement
and embrace the din

Today's Workout
Running: (Break)
DAREBEEDay 39 from 90 Days of Action

Today's Drawing
(Based on the word Advert from Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day)
***Check out the full catalog of pictures HERE***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive