Friday, May 27, 2016

Like Nobody's Watching

The first of the Imaginary Lives on my list is Dancer. I chose this one first because the desire has been in me the longest. Ever since I was a baby I loved moving to music. I danced constantly in band class and dancing was my favorite part of doing musicals through middle and high school. My body craves it and when a good tune is on I can't help myself. Something just clicks on a very primal level and I feel immense freedom.

So how am I go about getting close to the life of a dancer? I'm hoping to learn a few new dance moves. With the exception of the Charleston, most of my dancing is complete free form and I was hoping to get a bit more discipline on that front. I'd also like to work on my upper body strength so that I can pull off the more intense break dancing moves. And I'd like to stress the importance of making dance a thing I do more often in my life...perhaps a weekly free movement session.

I would also like to add that this was difficult to write, as all those gender normative judgement voices in the back my head are screaming, "DUDE! DON'T TELL THEM YOU LIKE DANCING! DANCING IS FOR PEOPLE IN TOUCH WITH THEIR FEELINGS! WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH OUR FEELINGS! THAT'S-"

Shut it voices. We won't have that kind of talk here. This isn't freaking middle school. Grow up and be responsible adults who are allowed to have and feel their feelings. Men can cry. Women can get mad. We're all people. How bout you get in touch with your feelings for once, look deep inside and see where all that indignation stems from. Oh. Someone told you to stop having feelings when you were younger? Interesting. Well let's not keep that ball rolling then, shall we?

Haiku of the Day:
Two Mikes - all alone
Figurative tumbleweeds
roll down the hallway

Today's Drawing (Brought to you by the word Aureate - meaning of a golden color or brilliance or grandiloquence. Yech.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive