Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Next Steps

Hello readers. That's you - family, friends and electric wanderers.

I'm breaking my non-haiku silence, (after my 700th one!) to tell you that I will be starting up again. For those that don't know what I'm referring to, please see my year-long body of work spanning from June 25th, 2014 to June 25th 2015.

I have been training outside of this space, writing 3 pages a day, pouring over new spreadsheets and getting a grander sense of what should be happening next. The plan is to launch a brand-new project, something my wife and I have been referring to as "The Creative Year". The concept is simple enough: Spend an entire year figuring out how to make a living out of making things.

I'm looking into different crowd-sourcing platforms for funding, like Patreon, as I'm inspired by artists who have not been shy about asking for money to do the things that they love. I plan on being transparent about costs, providing full disclosure of my spending along the way so everyone has a sense of how much it requires to keep this process going.

Important things to note:

-Drawings are coming back: They were too fun and I miss doing them dearly.

-Haikus will stay: It's the only way I'm going to make it to 1,000 and beyond

-Each month will have a theme: More on this to come, but I'm planning on focusing on different things for each month, creatively and personally. Example: Month of Cleansing (September) - no cursing, no junk, no booze. I will go strictly vegan this month. One personal object will be donated or disposed of everyday.

-Career Tasks: I'm taking a few things from Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way: One being the 3 morning pages I've been doing on and off since the beginning of the year and the second being an exercise where you try to envision yourself in various "Imaginary Lives," and making sure to do a task that relates to those lives. It's less about the ideal/dream job and more about "what you could see yourself doing/enjoying for a living." Seeing as I've been feeling lost in identifying with any one profession (I've held many positions in a wide array of industries in the past 5 years) I came up with 10 that I feel I would be happy being. I'm going to elaborate on them more in the next few weeks here as I discover what the tasks for each will be and how often I plan on employing them.

-The Contract: I'm writing up a full contract of all these improvements, goals and tasks. This will be public and subject to amendments. I want it to be a "living document" as much as possible.

That's all for now. I plan to launch the project a month from now (June 25th) and in the time from now until then I will be test running the various aspects listed above.

Haiku of the Day:
With temperature
rising, so comes the danger
Bring it on, Nature

Today's Drawing (It's back!! The Merriam-Webster word of the day is Jeopardize)



2 comments:

  1. Delighted to hear this; I'd buy that for a dollar a month. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kind sir! This warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive