Thursday, May 7, 2015

Melvin

Melvin the Nuclear Missile

Hi. I'm Melvin. I'm a nuclear missile. I was born in the most conventional way a weapon is born: piece by piece with cold reverent hands. My parents were a team of coats and spectacles, forced underground in a world of concrete, metal and glass. My childhood was lonely as I was the only sentient missile among my dormant siblings. I conversed with the earthworms on occasion, and they told me everything they knew about soil and life underground. I yearned to escape my casing and squirm about like the worms did; to feel the dirt against my wiring and inner chassis.

I realized that dream by leaving my home in 1984, when a sleeping guard left the door to the silo unlocked, and men wearing all black carted me away. They spoke in hurried words and were very excitable. I stayed with them for a few days in an unmarked warehouse, until they left and never came back for me. Using what I learned from the earthworms, I managed to escape my moorings and left the warehouse for good.

 I have been a free nuclear missile living in America for 32 years now. Few people know I was created to annihilate cities into tidy white dust. I only just found out myself a few years ago watching the History Channel. My close friends tell me I should continue to keep it a secret, that I will be carted off again and stored somewhere dark for the rest of my life if I reveal what I am. But it seems unfair to walk among all of you without you knowing, being what I am and capable of what I am capable of. So I composed this short open letter for the world. Do with it what you will. My name is Melvin. And I am a nuclear missile.


(Also I learned this about treadmills today. It's from Wikipedia so take with a grain of salt. "In later times, treadmills were used as punishment devices for people sentenced to hard labor in prisons.")


Haiku of the Day:
Plastered concrete wall
coaxes me down the tunnel
with grey mystery

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Cowl" from an 18th century slasher flick.)


Today's "365" Project (Make a ten-word murder mystery.)

Only one of them knew what laid behind the copier...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive