Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Penultimate Post

-Everything has been completed, with the exception of word count and mileage. I've nearly done it. All I've got to do is the final picture, project and write up and this stage of the journey will be over. We're planning a camping trip this weekend and I plan to not have to do anything. It's a nice feeling. Peaceful. Hopefully we'll have decent weather.

-When I was younger, my brothers and I would spend our weekends sleeping in our basement, watching television and playing video games. Often we would play early into the morning, eating horrible food and basking in the glow of the screen. It felt like an ancient space, a damp sunless primordial cave where we huddled together and shared in these wild and supernatural stories. It was ritualistic and magical down there. We inhabited these vast and inspiring worlds where we had power and it was clear who were the heroes and who were the villains. I don't think I'll ever recover from the memory of that time and place. Such is the dark and comforting hold of nostalgia. This is what I get for listening to the Nobuo Uematsu Pandora station.

-A delinquent wrote "Butthole" in the dust of a storefront under construction. What's the compulsion there? What is it about the term "butthole" that tickled the artist so? Where does the compulsion to write out vulgarities in public space stem from? Is it a vesting of control? Why does it feel so good to vandalize, to make your mark? Expletives and declarations of love are, by far, the most popular.

Haiku of the Day:
The remnants of man
cast in shreds of wrought iron
rest lonesome on stilts

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Gotcha!" from journalism or something)


Today's "365" Project (Make a brand new birthday tradition. This one's a bit on the nose with how close my birthday is, so I'm definitely doing something I can implement on the 25th. A brief musing below!)

So there are a few traditions I've had for birthdays over the years:
- I worked on my birthday from the ages of 15 to 24...will be working this year too. 
-as I've mentioned before, I've quit something every year since turning 25
-I am trying to start the tradition of reading a number of books equal to my age
-also cheesecake is my tradition birthday cake of choice.
-I tradition my father started was playing 18 by Alice cooper at midnight on mine and my brother's 18th birthday. 
-When I turned 24 I got 24 punches in the arm from my former bartender at the Owl Bar. He was a gorilla of a man and I had bruises for a month.

So this little bit being said, I think I'll try to start up the Birthday Run: Getting dressed up somehow and running a short distance with a bunch of friends. We'll see how it goes! You'll see more on it tomorrow.

Today's Runner

THE UNSTOPPABLE JOE COOK "60 degrees, low cloud and fog cover, still and very humid. Slow but I felt that I could have gone longer." You've gone so long already Joe. What a guy!


TOTAL DAY'S MILES: 5.01

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive