Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!

I was carving pumpkins with friends last night and the subject of "most terrifying moment in your life" came up. I'm still racking my brain on this one. I was a scared little kid. I had one of those imaginations that did things without my permission and there was rarely any reprieve. I remember my father attempting to relay strategies for me for dealing with it. Talking about distracting your mind and trying not to focus on the horrifying subject at hand. Unfortunately, my voracious imagination just laughed in the face of this and kept flooding my mind with bed spiders and faceless specters. I didn't stop sleeping with a light on until I was halfway through high school. And by light on, I mean a reading light that shined directly in my face.

I think this anxiety and fear originates in my understanding of the fragileness of a mind. I've never truly hallucinated myself, but I've been in states of mind so consuming and complete that I may as well have. It's hard to come to grips with your reality once this sort of thing has happened to you, and suddenly a whole world of terrible possibilities factor in to your day to day. Your mind could go at any point and for no apparent reason and once that occurs, there's no predicting the fresh hell your broken mind could unleash. This is when I've been the most scared. When a threshold of some kind has been crossed in what my mind is capable of without my consent, and I'm faced with "the dark's" worth of infinite terrors that can manifest with the drop of a hat.

Haiku of the Day:
Sifting through pumpkin guts
to get to slimy white pips.
Seed roast Smorgasbord!

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Cryptesthesia" from Dictionary.com's word of the day. It's alleged paranormal perception or clairvoyance.)



Today's "365" Project (Do something inspired by a song you love. I chose the Ghostbusters theme and carved a Slimer pumpkin.  I know it's my second pumpkin but it's Halloween damnit!)
"Less Obese Slimer"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive