Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Kid's Books

My 365 project for today is to "reinterpret a favorite childhood story," which I'm having difficulty interpreting. I'm even having trouble thinking of a good story I enjoyed as a kid. A few things come to mind:

I LOVED Micky Mouse when I was very little. He was my JAM. I even had this terrifying semi-animatronic reading Mickey that you put tapes into and he would read stories. Moving mouth and eyes and everything. This may have been how I learned to read, but I would need my mom or dad's confirmation on that one.


I had a ton of animal storybooks growing up:

Stellaluna was Will's favorite if I remember correctly and it told the story of a fruit bat that was raised by birds or something.

Cactus hotel was a wonderful residual from when by grandparents lived in Arizona. I loved how desert life blossomed at night. Something about that made it wonderful to walk around there, knowing that a secret world was just a sunset away.

Animalia was a combination I spy/alphabet/art smorgasbord. Each beautiful page contained a passage of alliteration specific to a letter of the alphabet with what seemed like hundreds of pictoral representations as well. L would have lions, lemons, lighthouses, lollipops, etc. some pages were truly horrifying too, which was fascinating to me.

But I think my personal favorite story was called the twelfth hour. It told the tale of an elephant throwing a costume party for himself and all his animal friends. Over the the course of the party you get a glimpse of all the awesome things the elephant put together, including a massive feast. Near the end, it's discovered that someone has eaten the entire feast! But don't worry, the elephant just whipped up finger sandwiches and everyone was happy at the end. What make this book amazing was that at the very back of the book there was a challenge to figure out who ate the feast and that the answer was hidden in riddles on each page. I spent HOURS pouring over that book, desperately trying to divine the culprit out if it's pages. I ended up cheating and looking in the secret packet in the back, but man that was one cool ass book.



Haiku of the Day:
Cigarette smells waft
out from lonely brick alcoves
waking vice longings


Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "demagogue" from MW's word of the day. It means a leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims and promises in order to gain power.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive