Sunday, December 21, 2014

Namesake

My grandfather passed away this morning. 

I had the privilege of visiting with him a week ago. I am so glad I had the opportunity to see him. It's hard for anyone to face the end. Most people choose to press forward, insist that death will come tomorrow and that there will always be another day, more time. But it takes a very special kind of bravery to look it in the eye and say "That's it. These are the final moments." Some choose to see this as a sort of cowardice, a throwing in of the towel, giving up. But it's far from that. It's accepting the inevitable. Death takes us all. And if I go with a fraction of the grace, dignity and understanding that my grandfather did, I will be a very lucky man. 

Many of Wayne's words to me in the past two weeks were about how lucky he was, and he often became overwhelmed with graciousness and love. There were a great deal of tears, not tears of regret or grief but tears for the wonder and serendipity of his life. And how it was coming to a close. My grandfather was so right, he was lucky. And so were all of us for having known him. Grandpa, I am proud to have had you in my life and to share your name.

Even though you jokingly insisted on calling me Fred or George half the time. I'm throwing a stern look with a wink your way today. A gesture I hope to cultivate in the years to come. Much love to you sir. And say hi to Marty for me. I'm sure you're both having a blast, watching over us celebrating the wonderful life you led together. Thank you.

I'll update on 12 days stuff tomorrow.



Haiku of the Day:
Homer Wayne Rogers
A man of strength and kindness
May he rest in peace

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Namesake")


Today's "365" Project (Do something with hands.)
"Grasping for 7"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive