Friday, August 5, 2016

Heart/Mind

Day Three for Imaginary Life Eight, Playwright:

(It's late. Heart wakes with a start.)

Heart: Oh god! Mind! Mind did you feel that?

Mind: Feel what?

Heart: I think...I think something's wrong.

Mind: What makes you think that?

Heart: I don't know. I feel weird.

Mind: Like...irregular or something?

Heart: Yeah yeah...maybe. Something like that.

Mind: You're going to have to be more specific if you want me to do anything-

Heart: WHOA! There it is again. 

(Heart takes Mind's hand and presses it to itself)

Heart: See?

Mind: It's probably nothing. Last time is was nothing and you got me speculating and that led to-

Heart: But what if this time's different?

Mind: Then what?

Heart: I don't know! I feel like it's going be bad...

Mind: I'm shutting this down. Go back to bed Heart.

(Mind turns over. Heart is wide awake and shaking. It starts breathing heavily. It starts making a low whining noise)

Mind: Stop it.

Heart: I'm scared.

Mind: Concentrate on something else. If you get scared, I get scared.

Heart: But what if-

Mind: No more ifs! You know I'm trying to cut back on the ifs. They're nothing but trouble.

Heart: But without the ifs-

Mind: Where do they get us Heart? Huh? They're bad news.

Heart: But if you don't go through the possibilities-

Mind: Then what? We get to just live our lives moment to moment and I don't have to work so hard all the time. And you know if I work hard, you work hard. Now stop talking, I need to get some rest for reasons scientists have yet to figure out.

(Pause)

Heart: Isn't that crazy?

Mind: (sighs) What crazy?

Heart: That no one knows why we sleep. We spend a third of our lives doing it and-

Mind: Stop baiting me and go to sleep.

(Pause. Heart starts shaking and whining again.)

Heart: Could we please check the magic box?

Mind: (sitting up suddenly) No! The Magic Box is the gateway to my if addiction and you know it! Stop enabling me. We talked about this with Terry. I know you're scared and you feel strange but it's just a feeling and feelings pass. UNLESS we linger on them. So find a way to stop and please PLEASE just go to sleep. 

(Mind turns over again. Heart is subdued. Suddenly a vessel pops and Heart starts bleeding everywhere. Heart tries to wake up Mind but there is no response. Heart tries to stop the bleeding but it is too much. Heart climbs out of bed to get help but slips and falls. Heart is knocked unconscious. There are a few moments as Heart bleeds out all over the floor. Mind does not get up.)

END

Haiku of the Day:
A familiar song
snags the heart in summer air
and coaxes out tears

Today's Drawing

Kith - familiar friends, neighbors, or relatives

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive