Thursday, August 28, 2014

Compulsions: Itchy and Puzzling

Tell-all Thursday

Today is an itchy day. Some days are contented, warm bath days and others are OHMYGODIMONFIRE days, but today is an itchy one. The itch settles somewhere at the base of my neck, and then tickles incessantly throughout the course of the day. Some days the itch is obvious: "I want sleep but you have shit to do." or "Mexican food. Mexican food NOW"  Other days it's super vague, this weird ghost of "I want something, not sure what, but if it doesn't happen soon, shit's going to get real." Today is a particularly vague one, the discontent and fever bubbling close to the service, obfuscated by a Vaseline haze. There are many way to combat this itch, most are either a type of salve or distraction, but rarely does anything get to the root of the cause. And if I give in and unleash a solid, nail-heavy scratch, that thing will bleed and itch for DAYS. But let's have today be different. Let's look that sucker right in the tickle spot and figure out where it came from.

Alright, so at first glance the whole thing just shied away...I scared it just by looking at it.

And now it's in league with the self-conscious doubty parts of my brain and telling me this whole thing is stupid and I should really be focusing on more important things. Stay strong Chodos. You're here for the duration.

NOW it's starting to squirm, REALLY making things itchy up in here. Trying to convince me the itch is dissatisfaction with my job, with who I am, with what I'm doing with my life. Clever girl. A commendable route but that's not the itch's route. The itch runs deeper than that. You can't fool me itch. I got you on the ropes.

And there it is. The bite hole. The point of entry. Now just a bit of forensics and we can call it a...oh shit. I looked in the entry wound and it was a reflection. A portrait of myself, steely-eyed and driven, with wild hair and heavy breaths. Touche little itch. I reach in, and just ever slightly graze my own face from my side of the ether. And in that moment I can feel the touch, and my features melt and I begin to weep. I pull the subdued madman out from the wound and cradle him in my arms until he falls asleep.

The day is no longer an itchy one. A battle won. Here's to tomorrow you terrible, wondrous itch.

Haiku of the Day:
Rehearsal cancelled
The gift of time restored to
a haggard young man

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "pica" gleaned from Merriam-Webster's word of the day. It's an eating disorder where you have the compulsion to eat things with no nutritional value.)




Today's "365" Project (Use a tangram...old Chinese puzzle. After putting these together, I decided to look up some designs. I was thoroughly humbled. On the other hand, it does come from one of the oldest cultures in the world, and I played with these for like, 15 minutes, so I can't feel too bad.)

 "Alf?"
"Warrior"
"Rocket"
 "Flower"
"Frog"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive