Saturday, August 2, 2014

Running and Roses

Went for a couple runs today to kick off the 100 miles in the month of August challenge. Had a little knee trouble, and thought of this poem I wrote from my image poem project from last year:

“Collapsing Arches” based on the image of a footprint
When I was a young runner;
zit-pocked and reed-whipped
by those who would be men before me,
my mother took me to a little shop
at the top of the hill with the stoplight.
There, a small tan man
with yellow teeth
inspected my feet.
He told me my arches were
collapsing and gave me special
shoes to hold them up when I ran.
I never asked what it meant
because I was afraid to look stupid.
So I bought into this notion
that my very feet were crumbling beneath me.
I’ve since run without special shoes
and foot consultants, but not without
the dread that man put in me:
That one day, while out on a quick jog,
my feet will go from collapsing to
collapsed and I will never run again.

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Cowabunga" posted by Nick Chandler)
Today's "365" Project and Haiku of the Day! (write a haiku and illustrate it!)
"Morning run observation"
Scattered rose petals
at the base of a park bench.
Romance's remnants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive