Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Folks and Notions

A few spare breaths today.

In lieu of my impending marriage, I've been thinking about the future and my parents. I realize as I approach 28, at this age my parents just had me. It boggles the mind. The strength it takes to embark on that journey to care for another human being for nearly two decades. I want to say that there's no way I could do it, but I think becoming a parent is one of those things where you find the capability, the patience and sheer force of will to make it happen. Like how some tasks are so intimidating they push you up against a wall in such a way that you finally see yourself for what you are: your cracks and your pillars, your fears and priorities.

If it wasn't clear by now, I'm grateful my parents embarked on the journey of parenthood...I'm here, after all. And to them and all those who choose to be parents, I commend you for your gall and sacrifice. It's one of the most harrowing and invigorating things we can do as a species.

***********

In other news, yesterday I discovered that two of my ideas that I thought were original have already been implemented. This is not a common phenomenon, but to have two ideas dashed out of existence in the same day is pretty exceptional. The first idea was a method of signaling to your waiter in a restaurant what you wanted through a colored LED system: red for assistance, blue for water and green for bill. Turns out the Applebee's we went to yesterday already had something like that in operation. About time I guess.

The other was a touch more devastating , as I had written a blog post about it like a week ago. If you didn't follow the link, it was the card game to determine the first player for any other game. As luck would have it when I was at the game store, I saw this very concept tucked away in one of the shelves. It's called Start Player and I looks like they did a pretty good job of it. Alas, I shall have to make my living elsewhere.

Haiku of the Day:
Among the dead leaves
Two purple shoots pop, singing
A spring rally cry

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Refluent" from MW's word of the day.


Today's "365" Project (Make something out of plastic utensils.)
"Place Setting Conflict"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive