Friday, June 24, 2016

Another year...

We're bringing another year to a close. Tomorrow, I will be 29 years old and I'll be embarking on another grand project. This year's project fell through, but I did manage to accomplish a few things:

-Reading: I read my age in books! Again! Another 29 and they are all listed at the bottom of the page (below the drawing.) My personal favorites are in bold. The MVP author this year is Malcolm Gladwell. Such a great and informative writer and thinker.

-Haikus: I still got one for every day. Well over 700. And I've finally updated my Haiku garden! Check it out here.

-Abstention: I gave up potato chips this year and next year will be soda. List below!

Age 25: Cigarettes
Age 26: Energy Drinks
Age 27: Ground Beef
Age 28: Potato Chips
Age 29: Soda

(As a side note, I also gave up meat and fish after reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer in July.)

Of course there was quite a bit that was accomplished on top of this: I was a part of many successful shows, navigated TWO career changes and fought through my first major depressive episode in years. 28 wasn't a picnic but I'm coming out swinging. Stay tuned for the next step!!

The twelfth and final month of my challenge year will be the The Month of Calm. This month will be all about rest. I will allow myself sleep above all things. I will take entire days off. I will take stock and do as much as I can to eliminate stress from any final projects. This is all in the hope that I can be fully charged to leap into that next year. Which will be my 30th. We shall see.

All Twelve Challenge Months:
The Month of Conditioning (July)
The Month of Conquest (August)
The Month of Cleansing (September)
The Month of Character (October)
The Month of Composition (November)
The Month of Compassion (December)
The Month of Competition (January)
The Month of Contemplation (February)
The Month of Computation (March)
The Month of Comedy (April)
The Month of Courage (May)
The Month of Calm (June)

Haiku of the Day:
Sunshine and sirens
a park at the city's heart
soaking it all in

Today's Drawing

Hermetic
1 : relating to or characterized by occultism or abstruseness : recondite
2 a : airtight 
b : impervious to external influence
c : recluse, solitary


For those curious, this was my reading list for 2015-2016.

Invisible Ink by Brian McDonald
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile
The Book of Imaginary Beings by Jorge Luis Borges
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
Undeniable by Bill Nye
David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
Bird by Bird by Ann Lamott
Take off your Pants: Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing by Libbie Hawker
Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution by Neil deGrasse Tyson
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
The Player of Games by Iain Banks
Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey
Program or Be Programmed by Douglas Rushkoff
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
The Emporer of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
Smarter Faster Better by Charles Duhigg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive