Monday, June 27, 2016

Jack the Cracker

Day One for Imaginary Life Two, Board Game Designer:

-I realize when I talk about board games folks might get the impression that I'm talking about Monopoly or Scrabble, which is only partially the case. Many of the games that I own don't have a physical board associated with them (think Yahtzee) but at least some chance based element like dice or card drawing. There are games with heavy themes that are cleverly backed by their mechanics. They're created by nerds, like me, who enjoy storytelling paired with probability. It's like a video game but you end up having to do all the math and imagining yourself. 

-I'm going about the soul searching for this all wrong...I think I need to start with a theme, something I find really compelling and then find a set of mechanics that meshes with the subject matter.

Idea!

Wards - Patients in a mental hospital must stave off insanity while attempting to get through a whole day. Each player has a different cocktail of disorders and must use that to their advantage to avoid particular pitfalls and hazards on the way. There's a variation where one player is the therapist and can help treat patients and give them options while still adhering to the rules of their position. I'm interested in whether or not this would have a "win" condition and what that might mean. 
  • Pros: I have familiarity with the subject matter and it excites me to no end.
  • Cons: It is a minefield of controversy and could end up very easily being distastefully done. UPDATE: It has been done, but in a horror setting. I just found its Kickstarter campaign from 2015. Bummer. Will have to revisit this idea with this new information.
-I spent a good few hours doing research and brainstorming...I think it'd be worth doing again next time with a little more focus. It was interesting.

Haiku of the Day:
The great snooze button
A reset of our waking
Skinner box for sleep

Today's Drawing

Crackerjack - of striking ability or excellence



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive