Thursday, June 2, 2016

Fear Factor

So in addition to the "Imaginary Lives" section of next year's project I will also be attempting a challenge each month. I mentioned this briefly in the announcement back on the 25th of May. So I figured I'd cover a little bit of each of them in the build-up to the project launch. The actual months in which they take place may switch...it all depends on what I've got going on.

The first Challenge Month I'll cover is The Month of Courage. I was planning on doing this one sometime in the winter. During the Month of Courage I would face 10 of my most basic fears on 10 separate events or occasions. At the moment I don't have all of them, but here are a few I'd like to try:

1. Bees - I hate bees and they terrify me. My plan for this one is to visit a beekeeper and look at a hive. I get chills thinking about it.

2. Spiders - Going with the heebie-jeebie theme, I hate spiders even more than bees. I've had recurring nightmares about spiders since a very young age. I'm going to see if I can hold a tarantula. Or at least be able to be in the same room as one without a cage or glass separating us. *shudder*

3. Heights - I get some mad stressy vertigo at high places. I would love to skydive (though it might be too pricey.) or at least experience some ride type of freefall. Hell, just standing on one of those glass floors over a very high place for five minutes would do it for me.

4. Dead Bodies - I'd like to visit a morgue or cadaver lab. It freaks me the heck out but since reading Mary Roach's Stiff I've been really intrigued...

5. Intimacy - Looking people in the eye and saying "I love you" is petrifying. I plan to do this with all the people I can this month. Preferably with an explanation of why to make it that much more uncomfortable.

6. Talking on the phone with strangers - Huge problem. Ever since I was little. Each day this month I have to call a complete stranger for a non-commercial reason.

7. Being naked in public - It's illegal in most places. Not nude beaches though...Maybe I should make this month in the summer...I'll think about it.

That's all I got so far. I'm open to suggestion as I will also be digging into my fear center to get the last few for this.

Oh man this entry gave me cold sweats.

Haiku of the Day:
Night-time bridge journey
City lights gleam on the Charles
Try not to feel small

Today's Drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive