Monday, April 27, 2015

I'M BACK!

WOW!

I just...

I mean...

...yeah.

WOW!

This hiatus was so wonderful, not only for all the love from friends and family over the course of the wedding but also for all the brilliant, funny, insightful and amazing guest posts I received for the past two weeks. I can't stop smiling at how cool it was to see this chorus of voices from my life come together and sing there own wacky little songs. It reminds me of when I used to do this "Spiral Sojourn" thing with friends from college, where we would sit and listen to music and let our minds open to the subconscious and see what came out. I'm still endlessly intrigued by how complex, weird and strangely touching those visions would be and this feels so like that. Thank you everyone for your openness and bravery in what you gave in. I feel truly honored.

As a small review, here's a vignettey/highlight reel of things that happened while I was away. I will elaborate on some of these in the next few weeks later...I imagine:

Wedding:

-Watering a tiny love agave with a large pitcher

-Emily reaching to comfort one of our officiants, Tym, as he tears up while speaking

-Everyone laughing when "Rogaine" was sung when Emily was walking down the aisle

-Getting in a tiny fight while sitting at the head table during the reception about my getting angry at the photographer

-The whole Chodos Clan dancing like David Byrne

-Finding out that everyone was crashing the other weddings in the building

-Holding Emily for the "end of the night/going through the threshold" picture and having children run in front of us and freeze

-So many smiling faces while we slow motion cut the cake

Honeymoon:

-Drinking nothing but Kona beer for ten days straight

-Two words: Vampire Taco. (It's a food item...get your head out of the gutter.)

-Flying over the archipelago to get the Big Island.

-Hiking the Diamond Head and counting the Selfie-Sticks

-Driving through the black, rocky, desolate lava fields.

-Constant fear of cane spiders and NEVER SEEING A SINGLE ONE

-Scandinavian Ice in the sun

-Getting our Manta Ray Tour cancelled due to a faulty fuel pump and getting drunk and watching Mad Men instead

-Beer and smoothies for breakfast

-Lizards everywhere

-Stopping and waiting for Emily to take photos...and not minding.

-Stray cats everywhere

-Playing games with Emily on the make-shift recovery ward we set up in the living room by the balcony after she cut her foot in the ocean

-Watching a sea turtle inch it's way up a black sand beach with a blend of awe and heartbreak

-Scraping up my left arm and right hand on some rough lava while watching and walking at the same time.

-Brute force winds leading to a lagoon where my snorkeling mask breaks on the first try.

-Watching Emily snorkel while sitting on the edge of a tidepool and feeling so grateful I weep.

Haiku of the Day:
And from the shadows,
the smiling creep emerges
to walk the last length

Today's Drawing (Going down a somber road and being inspired by the protests and riots happening in the place I still consider a home.)


Today's "365" Project (Do something that could only be seen from far away. This one's hard to do in a single day, but it is coming!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive