Thursday, April 30, 2015

Shaving Headaches in the Dark

So back on New Years, I did a post of vignettes reviewing the year and one of them was helping my grandfather shave while he was in the hospital. It was both a heartbreaking and funny moment, as the drugs he was on prevented him from lifting his arm but also left him so addled he could only concentrate on going over his upper lip over and over again. A week or so before the wedding and a few months after he had passed, my aunt Sue gave me the electric shaver that we used on that day. It was a wonderful gift and I took it on myself to use it on the day of my wedding. So when the day came, I turned it on and did few thoughtful passes of my barely stubbled face (I don't grow much facial hair.) Satisfied with the result, I turned it off and noticed it was a little dirty. Upon wiping it down, I accidentally opened it up. And there, heaped in the metal and plastic mechanisms, were swathes of white hair previously belonging to my grandfather.

So there I was, in a hotel bathroom with my brother snoring in the other room, sobbing over the guts of an electric shaver.

His was the first of many blessings that day.

Haiku of the Day:
And if you stumble
at least stumble with a smile,
so your teeth break too.

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Headache" from the SDHUHVURHAOIWWOIEROSDHGF)



Today's "365" Project (Make something that using only black materials today.)
"The Domestic Weapons of Mordor"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive