Sunday, April 5, 2015

Mud/Lotus

Sped-read through a Buddhist book on suffering today called No Mud No Lotus by Thich Nhat Hanh. It was lying in a pile of books left behind by my neighbors while we were cat-sitting and I thought I'd give it a go. Key points:

-Suffering is human. There is no eliminating it, just learning to suffer better.

-Embrace your suffering like you would embrace your child. Don't give into it, but don't deny it either.

-Compassion is understanding suffering.

-Practice active listening to those that are suffering.

With most of this, it is common sense, but there's great power in being constantly mindful of these common senses. It is easy to get distracted or afraid. Being mindful is key.

Haiku of the Day:
Cleaving the essence
from the steaming onyx pitch
emits a fresh song

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Ritual" from the crow's liver)



Today's "365" Project (Make a short love song to a pet.)

https://soundcloud.com/edwardquasar/nimbus

Lyrics:
Hey there Nimbus, you're covered in fluff
you wanna eat your kibble but it isn't enough
so you waddle on over, right to my feet
and you beg me with your eyes, 'Please pet me while I eat!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive