Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Things I noticed from the doorway

(This blog post is brought to you by the magnanimous hurricane sprite, Ellen Ambrose. As a side note, I'm traveling deep into volcano country today and tomorrow, so I may not get the next guest post up within that timeframe but they are still coming and I am still so grateful and in awe of all of you! Thanks!)

Some reasons why I want to go to the jungle:
I’ve never been to the jungle. I prefer to be warm; I have heard it is hot in the jungle. Even better. The jungle is full of sounds. The jungle is full of animals. There are bursts of color when the jungle orchids bloom and the jungle parrots fan their tails. There might be a waterfall. Or a rainfall like a waterfall. It smells like living things and dirt. The sun makes golden chutes through the canopy and deep shadows. I think I could stay calm if I saw a snake, as long as that snake was not too close to my foot or my face. The air feels heavier in the jungle. Animals are talking out of sight. Vines make sidewalks and slides and ladders through the trees. Tree trunks are too big to wrap your arms around.  Leaves can live over 25 years in the jungle (maybe much longer).  I would like to see an old leaf. Insects make their insect sounds, flying and crunching on the leaves. I want to know what it is to share space with so many living things. The jungle is empty and full at the same time. The jungle is a surprise.

Haiku of the Day:

Dishes in the sink
Flakes of food and grease floating
In a soapy pool

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Kerfuffle")


Today's "365" Project (Make chimes out of any material you like.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive