Monday, September 1, 2014

Ghosts, Old and New

Memory Monday: write about a specific memory inspired by a word.

So Emily and I just moved to a new place, and it's the third floor of this very old row home owned by a Jewish community organization. The place is charming and kooky and there are a bunch of weird doors and slanty walls. We like it, but it certainly is spookier than any place we've been before, and this reminded me of staying at my grandparent's home when I was little.

My grandparent's had a lovely three story home outside of Kalamazoo Michigan that we would visit often. Some summers, the grandkids would as get the chance to stay with Mimi and Bumpa, (as we called them) all on our own. This was a huge treat, as we were grossly spoiled by Bumpa (my grandfather) with sugary cereals and putt putt golfing. The only thing that was tough about it was spending the night there.

All of the guest rooms at Mimi and Bumpa's place were on the third floor, while they stayed on the second floor. With four kids, I think this was the best way to maintain their sanity. Unfortunately for a lone grandkid under ten, this was not ideal. The parent's bedroom brought safety, authority and to a certain extent, reality, to the chilling ghastliness of night time, and to have that seperated by a whole floor was unexceptable torture. But that alone is not what made the stay terrifying.

The guest room I would stay in was at the head of a long hallway with a full length mirror at the end of it. If I was to wake up in the middle of the night, I would often bolt upright to face myself staring back at me from afar. Not only was this unsettling, but there was a room just to the right of the mirror that I always imagined some monster slowly emerging from.

In addition to the mirror, there were a few horror movie elements that would crop up. If the TV was left on, there would be a poltergeist static glowing in the background, coupled with the same eerie oak tree that would tap on the window. To top the whole thing off, the central cooling/heating unit of the house was stationed just outside the bedroom, so every so often the thing would turn on, and it would be just like the stupid basement furnace creature from Home Alone.

My hope is two things:
-our current home turns out to not ever be that scary
Or
-I find out I've finally grown out of that sort of silliness and won't be afraid of a weird noise here or there

I don't think I can count on the second one.

Haiku of the Day:
Boston's been taxing
but the friends who helped us move
Made it worth it all

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "impenetrable" from Merriam Webster's word of the day)




Today's "365" Project (Make a puzzle)
"Teazzle"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive