Monday, September 15, 2014

(Water Pun Here)

Memory Monday

I had a wonderful morning. Got in a run in the crisp autumn air, breaking in my running sweatshirt with the skeleton on it. Got a couple pumpkin beers waiting for me tonight. It felt good. Looking forward to the week.

"River"

I went canoeing/fly fishing with my father once when I was younger. And there were a few choice moments that are prominent:

-I remember mis-steping on some rocks and falling in my waders. This was terrifying because I was told I would be swept under and drown if I wasn't sure to point my feet downstream, catch the nearest bit of rock and swing upright. This seemed simple enough, but the waders work like two underwater parachutes when they fill up, and I became aware of the sheer power of the current for the first time. I managed upright rather quickly, but not without being soaked to the bone.


-I ate cap'n crunch on the trip for breakfast one day and there was some promotion in the box with a powder that made the milk green. I didn't follow the directions and poured the whole packet in and had a very green mouth for the rest of the day. I also had coffee for the first time, but I remember pretending that I had it before, said I took it black, and proceeded to gulp down the horrible hot dirt water I was given. Took me until 24 to really give it a chance again. And I was a barista for four years.


-my dad and I nearly tipped our canoe in a frantic nearly slow motion trajectory toward a jutting log. Lots of "no Michael not that way!" and "No turn TURN!"  When we hit it, there was a bunch of balance dancing and cursing. But we didn't fall in. Our friends were behind us laughing their asses off the whole time. They were able to get up next to the log and exclaimed "you left quite a shiner on that sucker!" My father and I were not amused.


Haiku of the Day:
The Skeleton Man
returns in time for fall chill
and runs unabashed.

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "divarication" from MW's word of the day. It means the action, process or fact of spreading apart. Could not have had a better word for today.)


Today's "365" Project (Make a visual pun. I made FIVE!)


"Grayscale"


"Beady Eyed"


"Mugshot"


"Face-plant"


"Rock n' Roll"

1 comment:

  1. I feel like because I am away these posts are much more meaningful, because I haven't been a part of your day like I usually am. I love the haiku and the fact that I feel I am one of the few that know what it means! Also love the puns. Especially face-plant, but they are all SO good!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive