Tuesday, September 2, 2014

This Placed

Ten Tuesday: write a list of ten things

Ten Double-Edged Swords of Moving

1. It's like camping! You sleep in weird places, most of the time on the ground. You live out of a bag and are smellier than you would like to be. You forage for your food and resources. If you're lucky, you may even encounter some unexpected wildlife!

2. You get a sense of all your stuff. The good thing about this is you get a neat little bookmark of your past and current life, and get a chance to pare off the older pieces in lieu of the new future. The bad is you often needlessly cling to the stupidest things and end up with more garbage to debate moving next time.

3. You learn who your friends are. Some people are just better at moving than others and I get that. But there's nothing quite like being miserable and sweaty and hungry with the people you love, and having them continue to stick around afterward.

4. Let there be light! The first few nights are always fun, figuring out what each switch does. Sometimes you turn the light off on your significant other in the bathroom. Sometimes you do it again on "accident" because the reaction was so funny the first time. It's the little things.

5. Don't hurt the precious. This time around I learned what I wanted protected and what I didn't. I'm always freaking out about TVs, because they're so thin and fragile and expensive. But this time around I didn't sweat it. Maybe it was because I didn't really have time to care, but I like to think its because I've grown as a person.

6. Lift those legs girls! God this move was a work-out. 2nd floor to 3rd isn't too bad. But we knocked the whole thing out in like 8 hours. I did not stop moving. Em and I are continuing to discover bruises and soreness in foreign places. Kinda feels badass.

7. Mind games. I've been through one of my tougher psychic ordeals lately, and this moving thing certainly didn't help it. It's that floaty mid-way feeling that snags and whisks me off to panic land.  So many unknowns and so many things to go wrong. When it started pouring rain was the breaking point for me...good thing it was Emily's too, cause then I was forced to stop freaking and be the sane one. Funny how that balancing can just work itself out.

8. At my old school...this one happened when we moved last year. You quickly turn into the character Phoebe from the Magic School Bus TV show, whose only characteristic was she continually compared everything that was happening to how it would be at her old school. We've all been phoebe at some point, especially if you spent any time abroad, (I'm looking at you K grads,) and it's a seductive, but really selfish person to be. No one cares about your old school Phoebe. You're at a new school now. Shut your mouth, take a look around and realize you have access to a magic bus that can take you to Jupiter and back in an afternoon. Unless your old school was Hogwarts, you're in a much better place now.

9. Love is a battlefield. Emily and I have moved four times now and each has brought us closer together. Not in a cute an cuddly sort of way but more in a "we've been through a near death experience and no one else understands our particular brand of horror" sort of way. One of our first fights was over where to put a microwave in our first apartment. Just two days ago we nearly had out sandwiched between a couch on a landing. It's certainly not pretty, but if you can pick each other up at the end, sweaty and broken, you'll be better off for it.


10. Open your eyes. Moving forces you to see things differently and adapt. Discover new neighborhoods and cultures and all that. Makes you expand and reshape what you call home. I wouldn't trade it for the world...though I certainly hope this is my last one for a little while.


Haiku of the Day:
Return to normal
in a new kind of normal
is weirdly normal

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "repugn" supplied by the word of the day at Merriam-Webster)




Today's "365" Project (Make something look like it came from a different era of history)
"Sonnet 44 Old Schooled"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive