Monday, September 22, 2014

White, Educated, Industrial, Rich, Democratic

Going to differ the writing section to the "365" Project because I can, it's my blog, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Haiku of the Day:
Throat chords scratch open
Revealing black notes with tails
Pouring song creatures

Today's Drawing (inspired by the word "Esurient" from MW word of the day. It means hungry or greedy. This one got away from me a bit...so I introduced a stickman as the falling voice of reasonable dissent.)



Today's "365" Project (Write a letter to your future self...and since time is linear [as far as we know] all of the selves I could be writing to are in no other time but the future, so I'm not going to set a specific age on it.)

Dear Michael and all the Michael's after you,

I'm writing to you, as you may well know, from the ripened and tumultuous age of 27 in September of 2014. Here's to hoping I'm less wordy now. If your memory is crappy, which it very well may be, here's where I'm at:

Emily and I are three weeks into living above the Jewish Community Center. Our bed is still on the floor and the bed-spring is still in pieces. Lord only knows when that will be resolved...or wait, you know. You know how most of my current issues get resolved. That's irksome for me and probably hilarious for you.

Anyways, I still work at the Lyons Group, but hope to leave soon, (fingers crossed,) and I'm entering tech week for that devised work piece for the imaginary beasts theater company. Remember how crazy that was? Doing both the main stage and the children's show? That sled you pushed around the whole time? And how hot that coat was?! Good times.

I would ask you questions, but this is a one-way sort of thing, so I'll omit the obligatory "Did I ever?s" and cut to what I think this letter can do best, which is remind myself of who I was (am for current me) so you can reflect on what an important time this is and how that kicks back on all the other times of your life. 

Take a moment to pause and look outward to some faraway place and smile fondly. 

Are you doing that? Or are you rolling your eyes at me? I don't know if the future me would find this tiresome or endearing...we'll go with endearing. I'm pretty clever aren't I, future Michael? At this point I imagine you saying "Get over yourself." and sighing deeply.

We're at an impasse, mister future me. A strange showdown that happens in those silent moments when there's no one else around. We stare out and suddenly there we are, in an infinity of instances, looking each other in the eye and saying:

"Now what?"

That's all I've got right now. They'll be more tomorrow. You know it better than me.

With all the love you can't afford to give presently,

Michael






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive